Friday, March 19, 2010

Good Bye Dairy Delicious

I am sitting here drinking my non dairy chocolate soy milk, trying to convince myself that it hits the spot. On Wednesday Pax was diagnosed with probable milk allergy. He has been having blood in his stools and the doctor's best guess is it is caused by an allergic reaction to milk. Since I am breastfeeding Pax, I am on a strictly no dairy diet for the next two weeks. This includes abstaining from anything with milk, butter (Even my Smart Balance!), cheese, cream of any sort, and any milk derivative. When someone is allergic to milk, it is the protein found in milk that they are actually allergic to. This protein is found in so many foods on the market. The next two weeks will be filled with lots of label reading.
Our hope really is that it is a milk allergy and nothing more serious. Hopefully the blood in the stools will clear up in two weeks and we will continue a non dairy diet for 5-6 months and then try reintroducing it.
I have spent the last two days forcing Preston to eat all of our delicious dairy food so that it is not a temptation for me. He hasn't been too bothered by this since it includes him enjoying my chocolate stash, fresh baked cookies, cheesy chex mix, and milk by the glass full.
We'll keep you posted on our progress. Meanwhile, please keep little Pax in your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. My mom says to try goat's milk when you reintroduce dairy. Apparently it's a different type of fat and globule size that is more easily digested. My first three years I was fed fresh goat's milk and I never had any allergies or other medical problems. She recommends checking out the sites of Dr. Mercola, Dr. David Williams, or Dr. Julian Whittaker. They offer good alternative, natural options.

    Will send some prayers your way :)

    ReplyDelete