Monday, February 8, 2010

Heads Up!

Last night, while not watching the Super Bowl at a Super Bowl party I learned some helpful hints to improve Paxton's gross motor skills for the next few months. We have the priveledge of living in a very medically educated community so last night I sat around the table eating chili with 4 amazing women; a pediatric neurologist, a pediatrician, a family practice doctor, and a retired educationalist (PhD in curriculum development). I eagerly gleaned some parenting advice.

Tip #1: Don't read a parenting book that makes you feel guilty. Do what you feel as the parent is right and works for you, your baby, and your family. Sometimes we expect more out of our children then we do for ourselves.

Tip#2: Have as much face time with your baby as possible. Don't waste your money on all the latest stimulating toys.

Tip#3: Place him on his belly and sit him up holding as low as he will allow on his trunk as much as possible. (I thought I was only supposed to do a few minutes a day.) This creates opportunity for him to develop his arm, back and neck muscles.

I was also informed that it is normal for babies to sleep with their eyes only half shut as they flutter back and forth, something Pax has been doing recently and frankly creeped me out.

So here are some things for me to think on and work with Pax on this week. Thank you fine ladies!

On a side note I was reading a Montessouri based parenting blog the other day. There are so many different parenting philosophies to choose from. This one in particular encouraged putting your child's matress on the floor of their room so that once they can crawl and walk they can easily get up from nap time and explore their room. Granted, we have some time before venturing down that road, but definitely food for thought. What are my parenting philosophies? What will work for our family? I never realized how much modern baby and nursery fashion can determine your parenting philosophies without you realizing it. Having a degree in sociology and early childhood education, I know what intrigues me for institutional education and development but what will we choose for our home?....

I'll try and post some pics of Pax's increasing gross motor development soon. On a bragging note, everyone last night was very impressed with his neck control at such a young age. Smile. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment