Monday, October 12, 2009

Fast Growth Curve

I have now "graduated" to bi-weekly doctor appointments to check up on our little one. (Who turns out to be not so little anymore...) Thus far I have been spot on with my uterine measurements. Each appointment I measure as many centimeters as whatever week I am. Seeing these measurements has become a routine I enjoy and take comfort in. Today I went in for my 32 week appointment. The nurse came in to measure me. As I lay there, waiting to see that comforting 32, I was surprised to see the nurses finger inch up the measuring tape to 35. New nurse I thought to myself, I'll ask my doctor when he comes in. Well, after another measurement by my trusty doctor, it was confirmed, our little one has jumped 3cm above the curve in just 2 weeks. Ironically, I have not gained one pound in the last two weeks either, even though I have been a human garbage disposal. What does this mean? All baby growth! To top it all off my doctor suggested that the rapid measurement change could be caused by the baby going into breech position. He checked the baby's position, but no, he is head down. The doctor said that a baby's growth pattern is often sporadic so nothing can be determined until the next appointment. I'll update you in two weeks. He did say with a smile that if the baby continues to grow above the growth curve, a natural birth will become more interesting with my size frame. Hmm...

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't sound like natural birth is the real issue if he keeps on this track...I'd be more worried about his toes getting stuck in your throat :) We'll be praying that he is the perfect size no matter what. Thanks for keeping us posted!

    ReplyDelete